Author Topic: Vinyl Conversion  (Read 14759 times)

Offline hotrats

• View Profile
Vinyl Conversion
« on: May 05, 2010, 04:40:33 pm »
Awhile back I posted that Bev had gifted me a USB turntable for xmas. I have played with it off and on, grabbing must haves first and flipping through the pile of LP's. Lately I have been on a tear.

Idle observation .... Colombia Records produced by far some of the best vinyl in it's time. Best in the fact that a lot of the stuff I am converting is over 30 years old with various amounts of play time under the stylus. The Columbia vinyl has converted with the least amount of hiss/pop or general mayhem.

One thing I was thinking about is that the older player technology (record player, carseette, 8-track) was of a physical nature. There were belts, rollers, motors, etc. involved. I remember the strobe discs you could use on a turntable to calibrate the turntable speed. Now all that is taken care of using the CPU clock. There was also a physical layer involved whether it was the stylus or the recorder heads. Weird how things have evolved. I can't help but think our grandkids are going to be amazed that we use hard drives with mechanical spinning parts. Weird how things have/are evolved/evolving.

Listening to Canned Heat "Living the Blues' at the moment. Ripped off of vinyl. This record was release in 1968 as a double album and in fact was the first double LP produced that placed well on album charts. I can see the store I walked into to buy this sucker. Remember record stores? LOL

David

Offline Weave

• Senior Illustrious Potentate
  • Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MisterWeave Blog
Re: Vinyl Conversion
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 09:01:23 pm »
Vinyl - I remember it well. A friend had a HUGE library of mostly clarseic rock. There was a process. Album selection - side selection - pulling it out carefully by the edges, spray and wipe with the disk cleaner thing - zap with the static zorching gun...

The album side was a THING - just long enough to get a flavor of an artist, and then switch gears and let the next party patron choose (unless they totally hit a mood killer).
Take care,
Weave

Offline hotrats

• View Profile
Re: Vinyl Conversion
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 09:49:07 pm »
Oh yeah. No shuffle, just straight through the side. There was always art in the order.

Double or triple album sets were set up for the multi-platter drop mechanism. First LP had side 1 and 4, second LP had sides 2 and 3. That way you could load the set, play 1, drop 2. Flip play 3, drop 4. I never used a drop turntable but they set up the LP sets that way. I avoided cueing in the middle since that was a great to introduce a nicked track.

David