Author Topic: Photo to GIF experiment in Photoshop  (Read 8552 times)

Offline digiSal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • digiSal
Photo to GIF experiment in Photoshop
« on: February 24, 2004, 03:14:44 am »
So Rob sends me a picture (below) of some eagle looking thing that his friend wants to have painted on a car hood. He said something about it being to big, a projector was involved, I reallly don't know, if he reads this maybe he can enlighten us. He just told me to make it smaller. But that was too easy, so I figured I would try and just extract the image. Below is the original. Read on...

Offline digiSal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • digiSal
Re:Photo to GIF experiment in Photoshop
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 03:26:37 am »
Now, I will be the first person to tell you that I suck at just removing certain thing from photos, like putting peoples heads on other things. Sometimes, i can do it, and most of the time its a piss poor job. If it is a solid object I can probably do a better Job. If you notice the eagle looking thing is solid black, so this should make it easy to trace and remove. At first I was going to try and trace by hand, but that didnt work, never does. Usually I will do what is called Masking. Its the same as putting masking tape around something and then painting over it so as to not paint whats under the tape, except in Photoshop you can use masking to extract what you dont paint over. But i decided to try another approach. The Larseo!

As you move your mouse over the image it will select (Larseo) Pixels that are similar, and once you go all the way around it will select what you just traced. It was super easy with the eagle looking thing because it was black on red.

Next I copied the eaglything, and pasted it onto a blank Layer. Then I selected the Magic Wand, which automatically (magically) selects simialar pixels in one click. I clicked Outside the eaglything so that it would trace around it.

I am now realizing that I am not making any sense, not even I understand what I am saying, so I will just post the finished Product, below, I used the Paint Bucket to paint the entire eaglything a solid black. It could use some touch ups to make it smoother, but it going to be redrawn i believe. What do you think?

Offline The_Sheriff

• Another Day Of "Nation Building"
    • View Profile
    • The Sheriff's Code 4 Dispatch Center
Re:Photo to GIF experiment in Photoshop
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 05:02:45 am »
Hmmmm!  

I think I've seen that design just above some girl's tush recently. ;)

Actually, that is a really good way of doing things Mav~.  I learned something new again and your explaination did make sense. :)

Later.....
Wil

=8^))

"Let's all be careful out there"