Author Topic: Is that an OS in your pocket?  (Read 23575 times)

Offline hotrats

• View Profile
Is that an OS in your pocket?
« on: August 14, 2008, 09:20:02 pm »
I started playing with USB bootable OS's. Staples had a five pack of PNY 1 giggers for about $40 with $10 off. I picked up a pack and started to play. So far I have settled on ...

1. BackTrack 3
2. Ubuntu - Hardy Heron (with bootable mt86plus)
3. BartPE (my imaging tool)
4. Ophcrack (Why? Cause it rocks to play!)

Still trying to decide on the fifth stick. I got addicted to Hardy Heron so I did a complete install on an IBM X41 tablet. I got it joined to the domain at work and trying to see what I can do with Linux on the job. So far I am having a great time with it.

Anybody else playing with bootable USB. I'm still hunting down a fifth one to occupy the last USB. I'm toying with loading FreeDOS. Any suggestions?

David

Offline Weave

• Senior Illustrious Potentate
  • Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MisterWeave Blog
Re: Is that an OS in your pocket?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 03:29:49 pm »
I want to, but haven't yet. My latest has been CDR bootables - mainly Ubuntu and it variants. Imessed with Mandriva (Mandrake in another life) and managed to get wifi to roll on my laptop (once). Hmmm... I have a 2 gig drive I'd love to play with when I get time. I also keep looking at the mini-notebooks - almost bought one today, as a matter of fact. Not a need, but a want, sir.
Take care,
Weave

Offline digiSal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • digiSal
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 06:24:05 pm »
you guys used UNetbootin to make this bootable things? http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

and Weave, I could never get encrypted wifi to work on linux unless it was using WEP :(

Offline hotrats

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 05:29:17 pm »
you guys used UNetbootin to make this bootable things?

I used that for Backtrack3, Ophcrack, and BartPE. I used it for Hardy Heron but I had an issue in the fact that it does not achieve the boot option for mt86plus. A lot of times I pull the Ubuntu Live CD out just for that. I am always amazed how often unsolvable problems will track directly to bad memory. For the Hardy Heron install I used these instructions from pendrivelinux.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/05/08/usb-ubuntu-804-persistent-install-via-the-live-cd/

I also keep looking at the mini-notebooks - almost bought one today, as a matter of fact. Not a need, but a want, sir.

Interested in if you pick one up and which you chose. The mini's are cool.

David

PS: I got the itch to play with bootable USB from listening to these guys via podcasts.

http://www.pauldotcom.com/

Fun, informative group and how can you not love a group that keeps a beer consumed page on their wiki.

http://pauldotcom.com/wiki/index.php/Beer

« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 05:36:39 pm by hotrats »

Offline Weave

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MisterWeave Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 10:50:44 pm »

Interested in if you pick one up and which you chose. The mini's are cool.

David

I have been eyeing Asus Eee PC's for a long time - just saw one in the wild for the first time over the weekend. I posted about it on my blog: MisterWeave: Mini-Laptop Roundup. The Eee PC's are really neat - I was originally looking at the 2 gig surf model (2 gig flash drive and running a basic linux distro - about $300) and debating on the 4 gig surf (same, but 4 gig flash drive - about $350). Then they started playing with XP variants and I got even more interested. Now that the market is up for the mini-laptops, so the prices are dropping - the surf is down to $250 now and I am really close to getting froggy.

The Acer One is another SWEET laptop. Much higher specs - 120 gig HD on the XP model. I also played with one of the Linux versions of the Acer with the 8 gig flash drive and a linux variant. The linux version seems to have wifi issues based upon the reviews on Amazon. I do want the XP 120 gig version, and I would have gotten one the other day if they had one. I might just order one from Amazon. Just saying...

:o

Still enjoying the iPod Touch a bunch. The new apps are HOT - I found a few Text readers and the like (reading is fundamental, sir) and a few games, and I learned how to master video to the device. Good stuff.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 10:55:57 pm by Weave »
Take care,
Weave

Offline Weave

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MisterWeave Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 11:07:25 pm »
Weave, I could never get encrypted wifi to work on linux unless it was using WEP :(

Using WEP at the house for the DS - don't use the DS online much so I might go ahead and tweak the security on the wifi router some. I have Wubi'd various Ubuntu's on the Acer 5315 laptop I got about a year ago and can't get the wifi rolling - supposedly some madwifi and yatta yatta gets it going, but I have issues - maybe one day they can have a native distro that works from the box that works with the freaky wifi chipset in this thing. Almost had it with Mandriva - worked one time, next time I couldn't get it to boot all the way. Go figure.

I got the Vista tweaked nicely now - up to 2 gigs of memory, killed indexing, UAC, down to 24 bit color, killed much of the paint job, and this thing flies. Not sure why I am down with the linux - the vista works alright, especially since service pack 1. I guess it's just fun to play.
Take care,
Weave

Offline digiSal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • digiSal
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 11:09:58 pm »
Dell just got into the mini laptop game and they running a  99 dollar special if you buy a certain XPS. So i say find a friend who is looking for an XPS...lol...

and hey weave i didn't know you had a blog! cool mang...

Offline hotrats

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 09:54:06 pm »
So, just to update the USB tool ring. I had:

1. BackTrack 3
2. Ubuntu - Hardy Heron (with bootable mt86plus)
3. BartPE (my imaging tool)
4. Ophcrack (Why? Cause it rocks to play!)

and have now added:

5. Spinrite
6. Fedora 9
7. UBCD (on USB)

Still playing and anxious to learn Cofee which I snagged tonight.

David

Offline hotrats

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 06:31:31 pm »
just another update. Still have the previous;

1.  BackTrack 3
2.  Ubuntu - Hardy Heron (with bootable mt86plus)
3.  BartPE (my imaging tool)
4.  Ophcrack (Why? Cause it rocks to play!)
5.  Spinrite
6.  Fedora 9
7.  UBCD (on USB)

and added:

8.   NTParsewd
9.   Cofee
10. GonZors Switchblade v2.0

I picked up a 3 pack of 2 giggers. It has suddenly dawned on me that I have a jones thing going with USB sticks.

David

Offline hotrats

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 04:31:41 pm »
I loaded up MultiISO Live DVD (http://www.badfoo.net/) on a 8 gigger stick. I tried a 4 gigger and the files all loaded (4.03 gig) but there was no space left for the boot tables. MultiISO Live DVD contains:

* Backtrack 3 - we all know this one
    * Damn Small Linux (DSL) 4.2.5 - Tiny distro
    * GeeXboX 1.1 - Media display...used at IKEA
    * Damn Vulnerable Linux (Strychnine) 1.4 edition - Hack Away!
    * Knoppix 5.1.1 - General Live CD
    * MPentoo 2006.1 - Mini Pen testing distro, with some neat tools, wireless, metasploit, etc
    * Ophcrack 1.2.2 (remastered to contain SSTIC04-5k [720MB] table sets) - - parseword cracking, with decent    rainbowtable
    * Puppy Linux 3.01 - A mini linux distro
    * Byzantine OS i586-20040404 - mini linux distro with focus on home entertainment

I am posting with SeaMonkey browser in Puppy Linux. I never played with Puppy Linux before and it is a cute distro. I am going to explore the Ophcrack since there are some interesting rainbow tables included with the distro. I had to pluck MultiISO LiveDVD off of BitTorrent but it went relatively fast (8hr).

My keychain is getting to be a laugh at work these days.

David

Offline hotrats

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 12:06:45 pm »
This is a test posting from ELinks, a text based browser in Knoppix with the MultiISO stick. I have not used ELinks in a long long time.

David

Offline hotrats

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 12:10:00 pm »
Cool. ELinks worked and now posting with Iceweasel Browser (this one I have never heard of). The MultiISO USB stick looks to hours and hours of fun.

David

Offline Weave

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MisterWeave Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 05:05:16 pm »
Playing with Portable Apps as we speak - was looking for my old 2 gig thumb drive and it was not to be found. Almost bought an 8 gig for $19, but the girl at the register hepped me up to some 2 gigs for $5, so I nailed that. Got my Portable Firefox somwehat setup and am Apping up a bit. Should be fun to play with, anyway.
Take care,
Weave

Offline Weave

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MisterWeave Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 09:52:57 pm »
Of course - I just found the other flash drive. Doesn't hurt to have extra...
Take care,
Weave