Author Topic: PMP - what do you tote?  (Read 12746 times)

Offline Weave

• Senior Illustrious Potentate
  • Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MisterWeave Blog
PMP - what do you tote?
« on: November 26, 2007, 07:31:27 pm »
I currently have two old-school iPod Shuffle half gigs - got one myself and inherited one when a family member upgraded. I like the Shuffle ok - took me awhile to get used to playing with playlists, though.

I have a LOVE/HATE going with iTunes. It works (slowly on some machines - the Windows version is a BIG resource hog on my desktops - laptop seems ok with it, surprisingly), but I dislike having to add EVERYTHING to my music library before I can load it.

Since the Shuffle has no way of searching for what you want to listen to (say, separate out Podcasts) I have taken the other Shuffle and dedicated it to nothing but Podcasts. This is the only way that works for me.

One thing about Podcasts - I wish those that were offering them would think about bitrates - spoken word podcasts really don't need to be at 96 kbps stereo - way long download for some of us (and I'm on DSL). 2600's Off the Wall and it's ilk are perfect - usually 16 kbps mono and you can fit a whole hour show into about 7 megs of space. they can double it and I'd still be comfortable.

Lately I have taken to dragging a band to the clean Shuffle and then filling in with my usual playlist - ie last night I hooked up all my Sheryl Crow and then filled in the rest with my Clarseic Rock. Tonight I got all my Southern Rock and filled it in with Clarseic Rock.

Anyone use anything different?
Take care,
Weave

Offline Weave

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MisterWeave Blog
Re: PMP - what do you tote?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 07:40:52 pm »
Oh - tried to use my Shuffle in Linux and had "issues" - the Shuffle needs whatever program that loads it to write a playlist to it so it knows where all the songs are. If it doesn't get one, the Shuffle "sees" one folder of music - you will hear about 10 songs and then they repeat, and they are usually alphabetical (all "A" bands and artists). Amarok, whatever. I never got it to work in Linux. Most of the iPod dealios were geared towards the larger iPods - where you drag over your whole music library and maybe a few playlists - the Shuffle is a bit more "work it on the computer" and listen later.

I also tried using Winamp in Windows before - they supposedly have iPod support from version 5.something on, but theirs is kind of a pain - there is a plugin called ml_pod which worked much better, allowed for playlists and all. You just have to remember to "EJECT" so the thing will write the aforementioned playlist to the iPod. A pain with this is that any USB memory device you plug in you get a popup asking if you want to manage you music with that device. ITS A THUMBDRIVE - NOT A MUSIC PLAYER.
After you got used to the quirks you could work it well, although podcasts were weird. I had to use a Podcatcher as the built in thing was a HUGE UNRELIABLE PAIN IN THE A$$.
Take care,
Weave

Offline digiSal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • digiSal
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 08:51:14 pm »
I'll bite. I never had the need to get an MP3 player of any kind. I have always had my Pocket PC for that. And now that i carry a converged device i was phasing out devices to carry so i didnt want/need an mp3 Player. I mean, with my Phone I can catch Sirius on it. Its great. So when I would go bike riding I would just use my phone. It was great. BUT then Rob called me that he got a sweet deal on some Zunes...cough cough.... So i got a black one from him. Its a 30giger and its fully loaded with 4000+ songs and around 6 movies. I would love to have another one just for movies.  I bought some In ear Bose headphones and the thing rocks, but I hardly every use it for that. Only when I cut the grarse or go bike riding. Both activites i do rarely...lol.... BUT the Kenwood In dash DVD player in the SS has all sorts of inputs so I got the audio and video jacks running to the stereo. So unless the battery dies on the Zune I almost never use Sirius. Plus way cool to play a movie on the Zune and have it display on both screens in the SS. In the In dash and on the rear screen. Love it.

The shuffles you have are the clip ons??

Offline digiSal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • digiSal
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 08:51:46 pm »
oh, i just saw you siad you have the old school shuffles.

Offline Weave

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MisterWeave Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 09:12:07 pm »
I was eyeballing some Insignia (I think that is Best Buy's internal buddy brand) 2 gig with the screen and an FM radio dealio on it - still might break down and nail one - the not being able to menu down what I want to listen to is kind of a pain, and an FM radio is kinda cool, too. Problem is I have no need at the moment - BOTH iPods work fine, and I'm a cheap somebody.

I still use the standard issue Apple Ear Buds - they fit fine (without the foam thingies) and sound good. My boy uses some around the back of the head wrap around headphones - he likes using them sometimes by just slinging them around his neck and letting it be like little speakers. I might try that, as at work it would be nice to listen to crap, but I have to be aware of ambient noises and I also have to keep up with the "radio" at work.
Take care,
Weave

Offline Rob

• It wasn't Me !
    • View Profile
    • The Shit I wont Forget
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 09:35:04 pm »
Im so anti Apple Ipod stuff .........   The only apple I own is that Old Apple computer model " M0001 " but that was more of a conversational piece ... and how that thing cost 2,400 back in 1982 and 25 years later a whooping 4 bucks !!   

I guess I never gave that Ipod a " Day in Court " .. but all the Craze with the Apple I did'nt want a part of that .  Mp3 players had been around for a long time ...  I remember I picked up a 64 MB Rio Mp3 player at Best Buy back in 98 for I think 100 bucks !!  and then I purchased what I thaught was the best phone ever made .. " The Sprint Uproar " !!  with also a 64 Mb storage.

BTW ..  its good your still around Weave .. keep posting . !!!

heres a pic of my Very first Rio Mp3 player I had ever owned .. Not my actual one .. I stole pic from the net.

and my Aweasome Sprint Uproar ... Not actual pic of my phone .. but I still own this one and it still works Great !!
" These Five Words in my Head ,...... Scream out ........... ? ? "

Offline digiSal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • digiSal
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 12:24:26 am »
the pic of the Rio didnt show but i remember it.

and that phone. didnt you have two of them?? one got munched when you crashed the bike no?