Author Topic: Android  (Read 10071 times)

Offline digiSal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • digiSal
Android
« on: March 23, 2010, 07:41:11 pm »
Man, i love my Android phone. A real geek would I think.

I have the first Android phone, the G1 with Tmobile and the things those hackers over at www.xda-developers.com do is amazing.

Like what you say?

Well, since the G1 has come out many, many other phones have come out that are made by HTC but are all Android phones. So what do these hackers do? They get an OS dump of the whole phone and then port it over to the first gen G1.

So on my G1 I have run it as a Sprint Hero, Verizon Droid Eris, Motorola Blur, and the HTC Legend. All have different features and different versions of the Android OS.

The first version of Android OS was 1.4, then, 1.5 (Cupcake) after that was Donut (1.6), then Eclair (2.0) and (2.1).

The G1 should be running 1.6 right now. But ever since 1.4, these hackers have been ahead of the game and because of them, so have I. For weeks I will run 2.1 on my phone. Then switch to a Hero Rom or Droid Eris Rom because they have the awesome user interface called Sense UI which brings a boatloads of social network integration, which I love. Some of these Roms are not really every day use and can slow down at times. The Droid Eris rom was a good one. Ran that for weeks.

You see, these Roms are way to big for the G1. Not enough space. They only got enough space for the 1.4 through the Donut roms. So these guys create a special SPL they call DangerSPL. I wish I could explain what that is but you can go here to get an idea.

The other thing they do is they make it so when you install an app it goes to the SD card instead of the phone internal memory, BUT in order to do that you have to partition the card in Linux formats. Why? Because  Android is Linux. I always have a Linux workstation or bootable ISO so thats a snap.

The Eclair Roms, especially with Sense UI, also use a lot of memory so we can create a Linux Swap parition to help it. So cool.

But the best part of all this is that with scripts like Nandroid and Switchrom you can backup the whole OS and then switch between Roms on the fly. So freaking cool!!!

I love the Eclair Roms with Sense UI but sometimes its just to slow so there is a custom Donut rom out there that FLIES. Ill use it for a few days, and then switch to the latest Eclair Rom.

Also, to help with speeds the hackers or devs as they like to be called, require Clarse 6 memory cards because the have faster read/write speeds. i am on a clarse 2 card! :(

Anyway, thats what I am really into these days. I am forever checking the XDA Forums and Twitter for the latests. Twitter has a feature called Lists, so I just create a list of all the Android Rom Devs and whenever I want, which is all the time, I check the list. I used to follow all the devs but it was to much noise.

8)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 12:02:56 am by digiSal »

Offline Weave

• Senior Illustrious Potentate
  • Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MisterWeave Blog
Re: Android
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 08:23:17 pm »
Now that is cool!

I still have simple phones - although my latest has a qwerty keyboard and a 3 meg camera (does ok if the light is good). I wanted an iPhone bad this last go around, but we are on Verizon (at the moment).
Take care,
Weave