Author Topic: Parallels  (Read 11023 times)

Offline digiSal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • digiSal
Parallels
« on: March 11, 2010, 11:33:32 pm »
Any of you Mac boys and girls have any experience with Parallels? As I said in this post here a friend at church got a mac and she is having a hard time and has asked me about parallels.

i have no clue.

any ideas?

im familiar with VirtualBox and have used it many times.

thanks

Offline Weave

• Senior Illustrious Potentate
  • Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MisterWeave Blog
Re: Parallels
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 07:51:58 pm »
Don't know what the boy did... I'll ask him.
Take care,
Weave

Offline Bev

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 11:04:35 pm »
Parallels-  It lets you run Windows and the Mac OS side by side.  The software runs about $80.  Check it out at http://www.parallels.com/  Neither of us has ever worked a machine with it running, but David says he has heard it works.  Check the specs for what you need for RAM and disk space.  You are loading two OS's. 
Hope this helps a little.  Oh, yeah...  once you open a Windows system, you need to get anti virus protection.  Not something you really need to do for Mac alone.

Offline digiSal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • digiSal
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 02:23:23 am »
yeah, i know what it does in theory, but making it work on that stupid mac. pffft.

Offline Weave

• Senior Illustrious Potentate
  • Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MisterWeave Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 08:54:11 am »
The boy got a free "Windows in Mac" program and then paid for an XP disk and got it running... and I remember him saying that he might have had it booted to Windows maybe 5 hours or less. Last time we talked of it, it worked and worked well, but he never used it and he was thinking of zorching it and getting his disk space back.

Speaking of Mac - the wife is thinking of getting one of those big all in one desktop Macs that look like an LCD TV this Christmas. Might be fun.
Take care,
Weave