Author Topic: Upgrading the iBook  (Read 13362 times)

Offline Bev

• View Profile
Upgrading the iBook
« on: March 11, 2010, 09:06:35 pm »
Our little iBook is going on 6 years old.  It's upgraded as high as we can go, and has so much photography and music on it, it runs like molarsees in winter.  So, we got a new baby.  We're getting a bit more back on taxes than we expected, so we sprang for a new MacBook!  It's got a   4GB Ram 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with a 1066MHz frontside bus. NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor.  It a 13" monitor but seems so much bigger than the iBook.  And the sharp images and deep colors is a joy to look at.  Oh yeah, and it loads flash in a heartbeat!  So, are you guys impressed with my geekness?  Don't be.  All that gobbledegook about ram and Intel processors I got from David.  All I know is that is fast and pretty!  LOL   ::)  Hope everyone is well!

Bev

Offline digiSal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • digiSal
Re: Upgrading the iBook
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 11:10:06 pm »
Hey Bev,

I wish you could come down here and show this lady from my church how to use her brand new imac. i have no idea which one it is. its one of those 23inch all in one things. I gave up after about 30 minutes when trying to show her how to upload pics to a website i made for her missions.  so i showed her son how to do it on his windows machine.  :(

i used a mac mini for a few months at my old job but was mainly web surfing. nothing to geeky like make websites.

Offline Weave

• Senior Illustrious Potentate
  • Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MisterWeave Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 07:54:41 pm »
Cool!

Nothing like upgrading the geekables. I am enjoying my new netbook - just installed a 2 gig memory card before I came here. Gotta run the Windows Experience test and see if I get better than my 2.9 score I had before.
Take care,
Weave

Offline Bev

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 10:52:59 pm »
It's been a lot of fun playing with this baby.  We just got off of a video chat with David's daughter in California.  It was a lot of fun seeing and talking to her! 

Sal- We use FETCH for ftp to upload pictures to websites.  It used to be free... I'm not sure if it still is.  It's a program written by Dartmouth College, but I believe they sold it to a different company.  Oops- David just looked it up and it's $29 but that's a one time cost.  It works very smoothly with Apple's OS.  I'm really getting into this geek thing.  lol
There's a Clinical IT position opening up this year at our Home Health office.  I think I'm going for it.

Offline hotrats

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 11:12:40 pm »
Fetch is very good! I've used it since the beginning of time (Color Cla$$ic) when you could still get it as shareware.

From Wikipedia:

Fetch was created in the summer of 1989 by Jim Matthews, an employee of Dartmouth College. At the time, it was intended primarily for internal college use. Fetch was maintained and updated as a Dartmouth software project and was eventually released as shareware, becoming very popular in the Macintosh community.

The first version of Fetch was a desk accessory.

In late 2000, Jim Matthews was a contestant on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire and used the winnings to purchase the Fetch name and source code. Jim Matthews then created Fetch Softworks.

David

Offline digiSal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • digiSal
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 02:22:23 am »
wow, interesting story about Jim Mathews lol

need something like that.

Offline Weave

• Senior Illustrious Potentate
  • Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MisterWeave Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 08:50:13 am »
I wonder if there is something out there like Linux's WINE, but for running Mac programs under Windows. Can you run Mac under Linux?
Take care,
Weave