Author Topic: Windows Media Server  (Read 9501 times)

Offline hotrats

• View Profile
Windows Media Server
« on: January 09, 2010, 12:49:37 pm »
I was given the task of rippping Management Training DVD's down to a format that we could stream on our internal intranet. I set up a Windows Media Server and using Windows Media Encoder got a streaming server installed that feeds the ripped videos as streaming content. Slammed about 10 boxes simultaneously into the content and it never even burped.

Now management staff can view the content and learn to manage from anywhere they can connect to our network. Hope it helps. This was a fun side project for me and not all that hard. Just set the server role and away you go.

David

Offline digiSal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • digiSal
Re: Windows Media Server
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 01:49:00 am »
hey thats pretty cool! is windows media server free? ive only ever used Orb.com for streaming anything. and that was just because i did to show off. lol

Offline hotrats

• View Profile
Re: Windows Media Server
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 02:57:15 pm »
It works on any Windows Server install, I used Windows Server 2003. You just arseign a new server role - media server. This installs the Windows Media Services control panel. The Windows Media Encoder is a free download. It works pretty much out of the box. You drop your content into C:\WMPub\WMRoot. I had to arseign some security stuff but not a lot of configuring. Windows even provides some sample content.

David

PS: LOL I got a personal visit from the CEO and a handshake out of this one. I was considering never washing my hand again but then regained my senses.