Author Topic: Greetings from C5 Motion Computing Tablet PC  (Read 12335 times)

Offline digiSal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • digiSal
Greetings from C5 Motion Computing Tablet PC
« on: October 03, 2008, 10:29:46 pm »
Got one for a doctor at work. Very slick. Photo after this. Using handwriting for this post.

It came with Vista but the Practice Management software we use does not work on Vista so am awaiting the downgrade disk.

;D

Offline digiSal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • digiSal
Re: Greetings from C5 Motion Computing Tablet PC
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 11:37:26 pm »
The proof is in the pudding.

Offline Weave

• Senior Illustrious Potentate
  • Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MisterWeave Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 12:22:07 am »
Really interesting looking puter, mang!
Take care,
Weave

Offline hotrats

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 06:38:15 pm »
WOW! Those are kinda cool actually.

I was in downgrade hell the last day but figured it out today. I got into a bit of a shouting match with Dell in chat because we had ordered two new Optiplex 330's that were loaded with Vista. We had asked for the downgrade option and paid for it. They said no and I had the invoice in front of me. They came with the downgrade CD's but no key. The Vista key on the box won't work. I create our own image with all the apps we use loaded and configured. If I image them into the Vista box I have no key to authenticate with. Fujistu just gave us a universal downgrade key. Dell would not. So downgraded a fresh XP install, configured all my apps and imaged out a raw image for safety sake. I did this image because I knew sysprep would wipe the key. Then I syspreped and wrote out my usable image.  Sure enough when I reset the box it wanted a key. I don't have one! I booted back into the downgrade CD and told it to repair. Sure enough it loaded and all my apps were there. It was then that I had the light bulb go off in my head. The downgrade CD preloads a key and never requests one after. MagicJellyBean'd the thing and now I have Dell's downgrade key (at least the one for the 330 hardware config). Sweet!

David

Offline Weave

• Senior Illustrious Potentate
  • Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MisterWeave Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 07:19:52 pm »
I wish I could downgrade...

My Vista laptop is actually stable, but... I have two 30 gig partitions and a 20 or so (formatting, mind you) for the install partition. The 30 gig C: partition is about 4 gigs from full. I was thinking of gparted to repartition and kill the D and merge it with C, but I still wonder what Vista (basic) needs with that much disk space? This thing has a 1.73 gig processor and 2 gigs of ram and an 80 gig HD. It would scream with XP... but Acer has a hardware issue it dealt with via software (hibernate and fan issues). I think there are XP versions if you look hard enough.
Take care,
Weave

Offline digiSal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • digiSal
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 01:09:04 am »
I got the downgrade CD from Motion Computing the following monday and i was nervous but it imaged it just fine. I had to have it downgraded by at least ten. I would say I had it ready by about 10:30 but only because upon trying to install Office on it I kept getting a Windows File Protection error that kept asking for the SP3 cd. Downloaded the 500MB ISO for SP3, burnt it but it sill didnt like it. So I had to disable Windows File Protection using these steps

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=600928