Author Topic: Desktopping the Laptop  (Read 9325 times)

Offline Weave

• Senior Illustrious Potentate
  • Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MisterWeave Blog
Desktopping the Laptop
« on: September 18, 2008, 12:19:13 pm »
My main computing device currently shifts back and forth from the Touch to the Acer laptop. The laptop I have kept next to my chair in the carry bag that the daughter let me have (she never used it), plugged in almost all the time. When I would use it I would snag a table leaf, drape it over the two arms of the chair, and then prop the laptop there. Instead of being more portable, I was less. I would take it here and there about the house and the such, but I have not been one for leaving the house with it much.

Enter the Touch. Way portable and has quite the few capabilities, albeit somewhat less than what the laptop can do. Cool. I actually take it with me much of the time, can look at video, listen to music (and some streams), YouTube, read textfiles, a few games... an awesome gap filler for when things are boring.

Anyway, I think I am going to try setting the laptop up somewhere I can keep it - the boy's desk. I can have it set up and use the heck out of it, I can pack it up and go if I need to, and I can use the Touch for normal day to day stuff. I can also use the net cable that is already run to the boy's room and run Ubuntu on the other hard drive (wifi issues).
Take care,
Weave

Offline Weave

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MisterWeave Blog
Re: Desktopping the Laptop
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 03:18:43 pm »
Have her set up and dual booting Vista and Xubuntu. I have to plug up the lan, but no biggie.
Take care,
Weave

Offline Weave

• Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MisterWeave Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 04:17:37 pm »
Xubuntu is really lightweight - using no swap and about 1/10th of my 2 gigs of memory. Network seems kinda laggish, though. Using the wired network interface, and it seems to lag on the DNS stuff. It does the "Looking up _____" a lot longer than the Vista install does.
Take care,
Weave

Offline digiSal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • digiSal
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 12:39:52 am »
With my Sprint Mogul and its two predecessors I never needed a laptop again! Sprint internet is fast on these things now. Cant wait for the Touch Pro in October!