Author Topic: Greetings from VirtualBox and Ubuntu  (Read 8507 times)

Offline digiSal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • digiSal
Greetings from VirtualBox and Ubuntu
« on: July 19, 2008, 09:35:17 pm »
Many Many Moons ago I used a boot leg copy of VMware to try and virtualize  Windows XP in my then Windows 2000 box. My machine could not hand the load back then.

Fast forward to today and I am now running Virtualbox which is FREE and it lets me Virtualize all sorts of Operating Systems as well. At the moment I am posting this from my Vista machine (yes i said Vista) BUT I am inside the latest Linux Ubuntu release.

Installing was a breeze. I downloaded the Alternate ISO disc from the ubuntu website. The alternate disc does not have the GUI install menu. And within Virtualbox I told it to boot to that ISO file and it was as if I was booting to a burnt CD. Before this whole process I also created a Virtual Hard Drive within Virtualbox so that ubuntu will use during install. It is just one Five gig file that Ubuntu sees as a hard drive. It even formats it.

Anyway, there has been a lot of talk of Virtualization lately and I gave this a go to get familiar with it again.

I need to get this to do Fullscreen though. It only doing a small window. Need to update the drivers or something.

here is a screeny. Kinda big though so i'll make it clickable

http://www.digisal.com/other/screenshot.jpg