Author Topic: Avant Go  (Read 9546 times)

Offline Weave

• Senior Illustrious Potentate
  • Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MisterWeave Blog
Avant Go
« on: March 18, 2004, 05:50:48 pm »
 went to the AvantGo website and logged in to change a few things on my freebie acount (2 megs) and they asked me to update my info and they would give me an extra meg. Same info as before, so no biggie...

Now I have 3 megs worth of crap on my PPC!
Take care,
Weave

Offline digiSal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • digiSal
Re:Avant Go
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 01:20:17 am »
you know, that is one appllication that is so popular and i have never used it. Will have to give it a whirl since it is everywhere and a lot of people use it....

Offline neuromancer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 08:35:40 am »
I find 3MB to be more than I need for AvantGo. I love AvantGo but I tried maxing out channel selections to the 3MB limit and the amount of time required to synch all that usage is long for me (if I'm synching in the AM before leaving for work I have to allow a good 10-15 min. to run the synch). I found that a lot of the stuff I added to max the limit out was stuff I didn't read anyway. I am much closer to the original 2MB limit in my personal usage. It's nice to have available but at the moment it is fluff ... sort like servers giving you gig's of space, nice to have but never approached the limit.

David

Offline Weave

• Senior Illustrious Potentate
  • Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MisterWeave Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004, 07:38:57 pm »
My whole AvantGo experience centers on Yahoo! and my custon Slashdot channel. I can read that crap for hours.

3 Megs is more than I need. I keep wondering if there are more different channels availible for the 8 meg pay service.

For me, updating takes about a minute. DSL does a download good. I do remember AvantGo taking awhile for the update when I was still dialup. Nice to know I have the extra account space, but I think I'd hone down bullcrap if I had to wait, too.

My current cheannels are:

AccuWeather
Astrobiology Magazine
Brian's Belly
CNET News
DrinkBoy
liveDaily
MSNBC
New York Times Technology
PC World
Slashdot
Space.com
The Onion
USA TODAY
Weather Underground
Wired News
Yahoo! News

They seem to serve me well. These either update daily or weekly. Between this and textfiles, I always have something to read.

BTW - I also find that most of the default channels suck. Many of mine are custom. In fact, my Yahoo! News channel is custom.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2004, 07:40:50 pm by Weave »
Take care,
Weave

Offline digiSal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • digiSal
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2004, 01:20:27 am »
I dont think I would use Avantgo all that much. With Journal Bar I have it setup to download news from

BBC Tech
Wired
MSNBC Local
Pocket Gear
BBC World
BBC Science

and I hardly ever read them! Unless of course I am having a "movement"... hehe...