Author Topic: damned CMOS battery  (Read 7752 times)

admin

damned CMOS battery
« on: October 10, 2002, 11:21:02 am »
first, vmm32 disappeared on a  PC that was brought to me. Only way to get it back is to reinstall windows, so i wiped the hard disk, and when i rebooted to get in there and fdisk i couldnt boot to floppy. i had also noticed a CMOS battery failed message earlier.

So when i went into bios to change the boot sequence it wouldnt save it, why? cuz the cmos battery died. Fine, piece of cake, open her up, and replace battery. Nope. Couldnt find the some bitch. Researched it and found that the battery is underneath the cover to the Real Time Clock chip. You should have seen this thing. two pins were bent back to be soldered to the plus and minus side of the battery. I should have used my solder gun to remove the battery. A pin broke.  >:(

when i looked again, two pins broke! crap.

so i researched and found a chip that might work at http://www.maxim-ic.com . I ordered it. 8.50 for the chip and ten bucks for shipping and handling. If this dont work. Pc will need a new mobo.

we'll find out.

unless there is a jumper setting of sorts that will force the pc to boot from floppy so i can go in there and install windows. but eventually one would need the bios.

--Sal-
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 09:00:00 pm by 1064646000 »