Author Topic: My Palm Pilot and Linux  (Read 7783 times)

admin

My Palm Pilot and Linux
« on: November 11, 2002, 12:54:38 pm »
alright, this was tricky.

i have a Palm m105 that attaches to Mother via a cradle to COM1.

in Linux COM ports are named ttySX, where X is the number of the Com starting from 0. likes this

ttyS0 = COM1
ttyS1 = COM2

and so on...

In Linux i am using Evolution, which is like Outlook. Through the Pilot Settings it wants to know where the Palm is. the Default selection is /dev/pilot. and the  other options are dev/ttyS0 and so on. It would not see it no matter what i selected.

did some research and turns out i had to create a SymLink between the port and dev/pilot. which is done in a terminal with the following syntax.

ln /dev/ttyS0 /dev/pilot

the casing is very important here, at had first i  linked to ttys0, which is not the same.

you also have to set the permissions for that port so that Linux knows you want to read and write to whatever is attached to it. which is done like so

chmod a+rw /dev/ttyS0

or

chmod 666 /dev/ttyS0

Once i had that going i did a

pilot-xfer -l

to see if my Palm was talking to Linux. If it is then it displays all the directories in the Palm. It did for me.

So then i went to Evolution  and went through the Pilot Settings again. i told it the Palm was at ttyS0 but it didnt find it. So i told it was connected at /dev/pilot and it saw it! this is where i believe the linking i created comes to play.

So now i was ready to Synch all my contacts, appointments and tasks. I hit the Hot Synch button, and the Palm told me it was successful, but when i went to Evo(lution) there was nothing there.

i checked the help file and it told me to go the Control Center and Enable the conduits under Pilot Conduits. a Conduit is defined as  A small application which controls the transfer of data between a handheld device and a desktop computer.

there are conduits for the address book , appointemts, tasks, and so on. i have tell it wich conduits to enable. But this Pilot Conduit setting was NO WHERE to be found! I did some research and found that i had to get to these Setting via the terminal by entering the following command:

gpilotd-control-applet --cap-id=1

and it brought up the Conduit Settings in a Dialog Box, and sure enough everything was Disabled. I enabled everything, and hit the Hot Synch button, at this time i also had my Address book open in Evo, and it was cool to see all my Contacts popping up in front of me.. way kewl. i am a geek, i know! haha...

So thats my Palm adventure. Still havent messed around with the printer more. i need to.

--Sal-
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 09:00:00 pm by 1064646000 »