Author Topic: Apache, Perl, PHP, mySQL  (Read 8075 times)

Offline neuromancer

• View Profile
Apache, Perl, PHP, mySQL
« on: December 30, 2002, 09:36:07 am »
I finally got the quad working together in my 8.0 setup.

The mySQL was leaning toward 'bitch' status rapidly. By all accounts I should be using '/usr/bin/safe_mysqld &' to fire the server but I would get a connect and then a rapid disconnect. Not sure why. To settle the matter I went into GNOME Menu>Server Settings>Services and enabled mysqld at start-up. Got the root parseword for the mySQL server set and all works good!

The PHP and Perl part were easy as nothing needed to be configured. The Apache server fires fine with '/sbin/service httpd start'. I only needed to add 'Allow Override AuthConfig' to the Apache config file as I wanted to hide the directories behind .htaccess until I make sure my set-up is security tight. The default setup is 'Allow Override None'. There is a way to navigate through the default set-up and gain access to 'root' so I need to change the config and get that blocked! I don't remember the key sequence right off but any Apache can be tackled if not set right ... thereby ensuring that just about anyone with the knowledge can replace scripts (for instance httpd) and whenever you fire the server hence forth you run the 'rogue' script.

I installed the latest greatest phpMyAdmin (phpMyAdmin-2.3.3pl1). This version is VERY NICE! I recommend it highly and I will be updating my web server version soon. (Don't forget if you place this on a 'public' server it needs .htaccess or you leave the database wide open.)

I am tickled I got the set-up tackled and now look forward to 'hardening' the security. I love doing dev work in a local environment!

Just to note the 8.0 install upgraded me to:

Apache 2.0.40
MySQL 3.23.52
PHP 4.2.2
mod_perl 2.0

I really, really like the new Apache! If you get it fired on your system don't forget that hand coding the config file means you CAN NOT use the config tool and if you use the tool you CAN NOT hand code. I prefer hand coded.

David
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 09:00:00 pm by 1064646000 »

admin

Re: Apache, Perl, PHP, mySQL
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2002, 01:51:27 pm »
i need another box so i can mess with the crap you talking about. It seems like a lot of fun. haha.. for a geek! [smiley=freak.gif]

but as of right now it is not something i think i jump on into. i need to start reading up on it hardcore. this was a damned good post.  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

--Sal- 8)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 09:00:00 pm by 1064646000 »