Author Topic: Kill Story - External Writer  (Read 7805 times)

admin

Kill Story - External Writer
« on: January 10, 2003, 08:31:56 pm »
earlier today i was called to help with the install of an external cd writer. I was supposed to install this for her awhile back but i never got the call. turns out she had some lady install it for her. She couldnt get it to go. I was told she said that the PC was rejecting the CDwriter and that the cabling was not compatible.

I can see a PC rejecting a piece of hardware if it is of some generic arse brand. But this was an Iomega cd writer from Dell for a Dell.

So i drove on down a  little outside of town.

Everything was still hooked up and the Burning Software was installed. When i clicked it i got a message that the CD writer could not be found, to check to see if the cabling is write (i guess this is where the lady got her info about the cabling being wrong). I figured the Drivers were not installed.

I inserted the software disc and it started to install the drivers. It errored out. So i went to the Device Manager and saw that there was an Exclamation Point (meaning something was not right) on of the devices connected to the USB Controllers. It said is was a Marse Storage Device. I right clicked it and uninstalled it. I then hit refresh and Win98 detected and installed it. It automatically loaded the drivers and installed.

I loaded up the burning software and got no error messages. Went under settings to make sure it saw the writer.

When i asked who was this lady who tried to install it I was told she once worked for the school district doing PC work. Oh well....

--Sal- 8)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 09:00:00 pm by 1064646000 »