Author Topic: Alternate IP Config in XP  (Read 11746 times)

admin

Alternate IP Config in XP
« on: August 26, 2003, 10:37:38 am »
At home I have Win2k on my PC and WinXP on my laptop and whenever i need to exchange data to and from i setup a crossover cable, and change my ip ranges.

On the 2k machine i have to swith my TCP/IP properties from DHCP to a static ip address, which i make up. I have to do this everytime.

On the XP laptop, i dont have to do this because in the TCP/IP properties there is an Alternative Configuration tab where I can type in my made up IP address, and if XP does not detect DHCP it will use the Alt IP.

Pretty cool.

and here is an article from the XP Knowledge base on it
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283676
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 09:00:00 pm by 1064646000 »

admin

Re: Alternate IP Config in XP
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2003, 10:41:27 am »
and here is screen shot of the additional tab and feature in XP.

Offline bert

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2003, 01:23:49 pm »
OK OK OK...... ::)

Im wondering why you would need to arseign an ip address to two networked computers. Wouldnt you be able to automatically see each other? And i thought there was a feature in xp that allows you to make a network disk to install on computers you wish to network. So ip addressing wouldnt really be needed. Thats just what i thought.

School me.

admin

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2003, 01:28:19 pm »
This is what i thought also, or i am doing something wrong.

When i would connect the network cable i thought i was going to be able to see Computers Near Me in My Network Places, but i didnt.

And having them on a Workgroup with the same name did not seem to help matters.

All this was done whilst i was first learning networking crap thats the way i have done it since. Now i am wondering why it didnt work if both PCs were a part of the same Workgoup, they must need the same IP Range no?

and as far as the discs XP and 2k make, yes they do, but i didnt have floppies handy, and i did try them once with a friends Lap and PC, and it didint work, but then again he did have ME on the Lap.....

Maybe i need to be schooled as well....

Offline chupame2

• Intern post ENFORCER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2003, 01:43:19 pm »
From my experience, W2k was made for office-type networks (security minded first).  XP was more geared for the consumer market to allow for that kind of security but with the ease of 98ish type plug n play.  For 2000 you will have to set up the IP addresses, its just part of the deal unless you have XP or another system running DHCP.  For XP, as long as there is a system running DHCP you shouldnt have to configure anything but the workgroup.  When me and mike setup the network after RR was installed, XP recognized EVERYTHING, all we did was turn the crap on because the router was running DHCP for us.  
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.

admin

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2003, 01:53:10 pm »
 For XP, as long as there is a system running DHCP you shouldnt have to configure anything but the workgroup.    

right, when i was doing this share i was not on the internet so there was no DHCP, so this is probably why i needed to specify the IP in both boxes.

So you say your router is the DHCP for your computers and i would arseume that your PCs ip addresses are hidden from the internet right? How would i connect to your pc using Netmeeting to hold a conference?

I am arseuming of course you know why i would want to use netmeeting, if not LMK...

Offline chupame2

• Intern post ENFORCER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2003, 02:04:30 pm »
ATM you couldnt hit our computers with netmeeting unless we actively sought you.  I had mike change router settings so that any type of echo requests (ICMP ping-type) would not get past the LAN port of the router.  This is arseuming that netmeeting uses ICMP echo requests to test for a viable connection to an IP address for handshakes.  Since ICMP echo replies are still open, we can ping out :)  but no one can ping in past the router  [smiley=beatnik.gif]
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.

admin

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2003, 03:16:30 pm »
very interesting to say the least, because when get set up RR and the LAN i need to be able to hold netmeeting calls. Have to see how netmeeting does its viable ip testing...