Author Topic: A New Gadget  (Read 15339 times)

admin

A New Gadget
« on: April 28, 2003, 02:36:20 am »
So this past few days i have been messing alot with my Palm Pilot, installing and uninstalling crap so that i can better personalize and utilized the Palm Pilot, well all that changed late last nite when i made a deal with a Police Officer at work. Turns out the guy has one of them new Dell Axim Pocket PCs. He tells me he wants to sell it. But since i am strapped for cash as usual, i pretty much think it is out of my grasp. Until of course I jokingly ask him if he wants to trade for my Digital Camera. We laugh, and then later he tells me to consider it.

I thought about it, asked Rob about his opinion, and then went ahead and traded my Digital Camera for the Pocket PC. Below are pics of it, taken from my Web Cam..  8)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 09:00:00 pm by 1064646000 »

admin

Re: A New Gadget
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2003, 02:36:38 am »
8)

admin

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2003, 02:36:54 am »
8)

admin

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2003, 02:38:19 am »
;D

and here is pick of it next to the Palm m125 i was using for about two weeks, before i used an m105 for almost a year...

Ill get into what i think of this new gadget of mine later today, since it is almost 4 in the AM.

what do you think?

Offline neuromancer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2003, 04:10:21 am »
Now that is cool. If you could I would like to hear some `geeky` kinda stats on the two systems. I am thinking of getting into some Palm computing in the not so distant future. Especially since I am hearing so much about them these days. It was recently announced (I posted at Tim's place) that the first `portable` ogg vorbis player has been developed for the Sharp Zaurus.

http://www.linuxandmain.com/news/zaurogg.html

I looked up some info on the Zaurus. Kickarse system with a hidden keyboard. Expensive little sucker ... the other thing I have been looking at closely is the `Blackberry`. At the moment I would support anything that let me tote ogg vorbis around.  ;D

David

Offline neuromancer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2003, 04:19:05 am »
Zaurus homepage:

http://www.myzaurus.com/

David

admin

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2003, 12:20:10 pm »
as far .ogg, i am sure there are many of them for the Pocket PC but last night i ran into one, it is called WinamPAQ.

supports MP3s and OGGs.
http://www.projecteam.org/phpwiki/index.php/WinamPAQ%20-%20Download

if you go to that site it wants to download some chinese characters, cancel it though.

as far as stats for the Pocket PC.

Dell Axim X5
Intel XScale 300MHZ Processor
32MB of RAM
32MB of ROM
and it has SD and CompactFlash memory slots

it comes loaded with MS Pocket PC 2002 Operating System...

It came with one 64MB CF card with the trade.....

I'll get into it some more, must go for now...

--Sal- 8)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 09:00:04 pm by -1 »

admin

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2003, 12:41:16 pm »
well, i have been slowly trying to get the hang of this thing.

For one, i am very used to the Palm OS which is basic as crap, but it gets the job done, and the applications are pretty straight forward, and not to mention there are crap loads of applications and games out there for the Palm OS.

The Pockey PC is much like Windows, so i am always wanting to do things like i would do in Windows. The one thing that bugs the crap out of me is when you close a Program by clicking the X above it doesnt close it, it Minimizes it, sort of. If it wasnt for a program that Dell implementd called The Switcher i wouldnt know how to close a program entirely. And also, when i make a note i am always looking for it to ask me where i want to save it. I have been looking around and I have found a lot of third party applications that "fix" a lot of these isssues, but they come at a price. Lot of the good progams come at a price. Just have to keep digging.... and tweaking....

Offline Rob

• It wasn't Me !
    • View Profile
    • The Shit I wont Forget
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2003, 12:50:37 pm »
If you ever get tired and feel like launching it let me know.................. The only window that thing will see is the front window of my house its gonna get launched thru. hehe.  " i was only kidding " hehe i would never do that to that.....laters J.
" These Five Words in my Head ,...... Scream out ........... ? ? "

admin

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2003, 01:01:11 pm »
Complusive launcher...

Offline Weave

• Senior Illustrious Potentate
  • Shazam!
    • View Profile
    • MisterWeave Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2003, 06:00:47 pm »
Now that is some cool crap. What type of stuff did it come with? All the crap at the local BestBuy seems to be Palm related - and expensive as crap. Either Office compatible crap that is in the $40 to $60 range or bullcrap keyboards that cost more than a new Palm. They also have craploads of disks of sharware. What is the point of paying $10 for a disk of shareware when the crap is usually less than a minute worth of download (even on a dialup).

Lots of free crap for the Palm these days, too...

What is the input like on the Pocket PC - Grafitti? Pop up keyboard?
Take care,
Weave

Offline Rob

• It wasn't Me !
    • View Profile
    • The Shit I wont Forget
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2003, 07:47:31 pm »
Hey Weave ....that thing is faster than my PC....i have an old PC but with alot of updated crap...........but still its faster than my computer.
" These Five Words in my Head ,...... Scream out ........... ? ? "

admin

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2003, 09:34:46 pm »

What is the input like on the Pocket PC - Grafitti? Pop up keyboard?

Good question...

There are four options for input.

Block Recognizer
Keyboard
Letter Recognizer
and Transcriber...

The transciber is supposed to be a hand writing recogniztion way of input, now, either my hand writing is too sloppy to understand or it just dont work right.

You are supposed to write anywhere on the screen and then it will recognize it and change to words when you stop writing. worked a few times for me, but has not worked to great this past couple of days.

The letter recognizer is sort of like the Palm way of imputtiing, there are three areas where you write, one where whatever you input is all CAPS, one area lowercase, and the other numbers. I dont like this because you have to write the whole letter out, unlike Graffiti, where if you want an A you just do the upside down triangle and it knows its an A, (hope, that makes sense)

and the keyboard, wells, that just an onscreeen keyboard, which is pretty damned good, and the letter keys are the perfect size.

and finally the Block Recognizer, this is exactly like the Palm, Graffiti, only as you write your letter you can see how you wrote it, it disappears instantly, so its not obtrusive (good word?)

So, i use Block Recognizer because i am so used to the Palm way of things. I wrote two long arse documents while at work, and in bed, and used a combo of the Block Recog, and the on screen keyboard. Its almost just as fast.... what i also like is that it will give you a suggesting for the word you writing. either 1 or 4 suggestions, i have it at 2. what i dont like is that sometimes it will suggest the long version of the word first instead of the short one, for examplle, i could  be wanting to write protect, but it suggests protecting, so end up deleting the ing....

another thing i like  is that the Note feature is like the Palm, where you write your note on the screen, but then you have the option to have it recognize your writing, but this depends on your handwriting....

so there is a quick run down on the inputting.....

more later...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 09:00:05 pm by -1 »